Seminar for LHIDP supervisors is organized by Ilia State University’s International Doctoral School in cooperation with Georg-August University of Goettingen. The event consists of two parts which take place on 14th and 18th of June. The number of participants is limited to 10 and supervisors from LHIDP have priority for this course.
Successful supervision of research students and in particular PhD students forms the backbone of any successful research career of the supervising senior academic, and at the same time represents the business card for the reputation of a research university. The actual supervision of PhD students is in many cases done by early career researchers. Supervising PhD students can be a very rewarding experience. Nevertheless, it can be challenging, too:
- How can I support balancing the workload of the PhD student regarding his/her research and his/her other obligations, such as teaching?
- Under which legal requirements does supervision take place?
- How can I monitor the progress of the research tasks?
- What degree of time and effort am I supposed to invest into this?
- How to balance the freedom of research of the PhD student with my specificdemands and research questions?
- and many more questions….
This seminar will
- show the possibilities and necessity for structuring a PhD project,
- make clear what kind and extent of supervision can/should be expected by the PhDstudent,
- enable strategies for facilitating communication,
- show how to provide constructive feedback,
- show how to motivate the PhD students,
- and demonstrate in which way a senior career researcher benefits from supervision.
The exchange of experience and problem-solving approaches constitute the seminar. It is of importance to discuss and work on the problems you encounter and demands you have. Furthermore, input will be given on the legal background in Germany, time- and selfmanagement principles, and the peculiarities of a PhD in the Life Sciences and in structured PhD programs.
I would like to invite the participants to send me – prior to the seminar – information on their respective questions, so that the content of the seminar can be adapted accordingly. TRAINER
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Michael Decker M.Phil. (Cambridge)
- Studied Chemistry at Bonn and Cambridge Universities
- PhD in Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Bonn University
- Habilitation for Pharmacy at Jena University
- Research and Teaching at Harvard Medical School, Queen’s University Belfast and
- Regensburg University
- Since 2012 Professor for Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry at Institute of
- Pharmacy and Food Chemistry of Würzburg University
- Certificate for Teaching in Higher Education of the Bavarian Universities
- (Advanced and Specialization Level)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Teaching at Queen’s University
1st Session – 14th of June from 11:00 to 15:30
2 nd Session – 18th of June from 11:00 to 15:30
If you are interested, please click here to get registered
Application deadline: 4 th of June 18:00