On June 22-23, 2021 the International Doctoral School is organizing a training entitled “Science Blogging” targeting PhD students who are registered at Ilia State University and have active status of a student.
The goals of the workshop:
- Introducing the specifics and challenges of science / technology blogging;
- Teaching participants to translate their own scientific research into a popular language;
- Showing participants the stages and specifics of working on a popular scientific article/blog;
- Teaching how to write popular scientific articles/blogs.
Topics to be covered at the workshop
- The differences between Scientific and Classical Journalism
- What is science blogging and how can you start it?
- Scientific blogging and the importance of scientists’ contribution;
- Finding and selecting scientific news
- Hierarchy of scientific sources
- The temptations that come with scientific blogging (and how to overcome them)
- Scientific Blog VS Translation. What is the difference and How to distinguish them?
- Journalistic genres and how to use them in scientific journalism/blogging
- 5 main questions you need to answer in the process of science storytelling/blogging
- How to choose a title for a science story/blog?
- What is a “popular language” and why do we need empathy while working on a scientific article?
- The factor of Target Audience in science blogging
- How to write our own research press release for Media use?
- Digital Channels – Where we can spread ready material?
The workshop includes two assignments:
- Writing of research press release for Media use
- Writing of science blog.
The workshop will be organized in cooperation with NEXT.On.ge
Trainers: Khatia Tordua- Editor in Chief and Dato Samniashvili-Scientific Journalist.
NEXT.On.ge is a scientific and technological edition that covers current scientific and technological news of the world and Georgia. Here you will find news, quizzes, videos, reviews, interviews and blogs on current issues in the field of science and technology.
June 22-10:30 -14:00
June 23 – 10:30- 14:00
Number of participants: 13
The event will be held in Zoom.
Please, fill the registration form here:
Deadline for sending the applications: June 17, 2021, 18:00