On February 22, 2020 International Doctoral School of Ilia State University and the Centre for Academic Writing jointly organized a workshop on Working with Sources for doctoral students and young researchers.
The aim of t
his five-hour workshop was to encourage practical, hands-on exploration of specific academic writing aspects that PhD students face when writing their thesis.
The workshop covered the following issues:
- Engaging with sources when writing the thesis: how to represent the source material accurately, but also develop it by e.g. paraphrasing and summarizing
- Integrating the source material in compliance with the citation style used in the field:
- in-text and out-of-text references
- drafting references and bibliography
- working with footnotes and/or endnotes
- using citation and quotation effectively and accurately
- Academic integrity and types of plagiarism